Babies Shouldn’t Need Surgery

I’m about to get more personal.  You may have noticed that the blog has been lacking a bit lately.  I would like to tell you the story of what has happened this past week.  I have mostly focused on inspirational posts, but I’m getting braver, and I want to share the details of my own life to give you an explanation of why there have been no posts.

Last Friday, my two-year-old kept saying “owie” all morning.  He has Arthrogryposis in his arms, which means his joints don’t work correctly, so I couldn’t tell exactly where he was pointing when he said that it hurt, but it looked to be around the lower abdomen area.  He hadn’t eaten very well that week, so I thought that it might just be constipation.  I gave him water, but he didn’t want to drink anything.  A warm pack didn’t work.  A bath didn’t work, and he definitely did not want to run around outside.  He just got more miserable the longer I tried things, so eventually I decided to just put him down for a nap. When I changed his diaper, I noticed he had a golf ball sized bulge on his groin!!

I panicked and called his doctor’s office, but the nurse was at lunch.

For some reason, the nurse is always at lunch.

The receptionist said she would call me back, but more the minutes ticked by, the more anxious I got.  I called my husband home from work, and we started driving to the clinic.  On the way there, the nurse called me back, and thankfully, wanted us to come in, and we were seen right away.  The doctor told us that he had a hernia, and by that time, he was absolutely miserable.  She tried to push it back where it was supposed to be.  It caused him a lot of pain, and it didn’t work.  She referred us to the children’s hospital, and we met with a surgeon.  Ironically, it was the same surgeon who patched up our first son when he was born with Gastroschisis.  We have all the luck, don’t we.

We were grateful to be meeting with a great surgeon though.  He also tried to squeeze them back into place, but they would not go.  He didn’t want to push too hard, because he was unsure of whether it was actual intestine that was causing the lump, or if it was just a hydrocele.  If it was trapped liquid, he didn’t want to keep pushing on it, so he sent us to imaging to get an ultrasound of it.

We had to wait in the waiting room for a long time since we didn’t have an appointment.  While we were waiting, he threw up everywhere.  It was awful, and messy.  It was on his clothes, and mine.  His clothes got it the worst, so we stripped him, and just had him in a diaper.  A nice lady in the waiting room helped me clean him up, and I was grateful.  A friend came and took our four-year-old home with her, and we were grateful for that too.  Especially since he had just wet his pants.  What a good friend.

Our two-year-old got his ultrasound, and it was confirmed that it was a hernia.  The doctor came in, and got the intestine back in place, and said we could go home after we scheduled a day for surgery.  I was a little anxious because he still seemed so miserable and sick, but he perked up within an hour.

On Tuesday Morning, we went to the hospital for the surgery.  My sister had just flown in from Michigan the night before, and since we live close to the airport, she had slept at our house.  On the way to the hospital, we dropped our oldest off at another friend’s house, and then dropped my sister off at her bus stop downtown, so she could get back home (4 hour long bus ride. 😦  My poor sister!)


We checked in, and waited.  He was really happy all morning, and was thrilled about all of the cool toys to play with.  We met with the surgeon, and the anesthesiologist.  We walked part of the way down the hall together, and left him with the medical staff, his blankie and giraffe, and lots of hugs and kisses.  He did really well.  I had a hard time.  As we were riding down the elevator to the parent waiting room, I found myself tearing up and telling Evan that I knew he was going to be fine, but it was still hard.  Mostly I was saying it to myself.  I knew it wasn’t a life-threatening thing, but it’s still hard to see your two-year-old go into surgery.  I knew he didn’t understand what was going on, even though we had tried to explain it to him.

The surgery didn’t take long at all.  It was probably 30-40 minutes, and the surgeon was in the waiting room telling us that everything had gone well.  We had to wait a bit longer for him to wake up, then we were invited back to sit with him.  He was discharged that afternoon.

Since then, it has just been healing.  It’s really hard to see my little boy in pain.  He still doesn’t understand what happened, but when he cries and says “owie”, it hurts me.  He is on the mend though.  He has watched The Lion Guard episodes (his favorite show) repeatedly, has sucked down all the apple juice, and is currently playing a Lego train game on my phone.  Luckily, he probably won’t remember any of this.

Even though Evan and I have let things slack this week (for the obvious reason above) we’ve got big plans for our business.  I’m going to get back on track with the blog, and Evan is going to get some awesome content up on Youtube.  You can find us on twitter as well.  We are also planning on setting up an Instagram, and a Facebook group this weekend.  We’ll have links for those on Monday.

Ufdah. Life is crazy.  We roll with the punches.  I don’t really know what else to say except that I am grateful for my family and good friends.  Thanks to all of you who read.  I hope to get to know everyone better once we have a Facebook group set up.  I’m really hoping for it to be a close online community of people who support and help one another in achieving something great.  I hope you all have a great weekend, and I look forward to connecting with many of you!



6 thoughts on “Babies Shouldn’t Need Surgery

  1. I’m so sorry for what your little guy had go to through. Nothing makes you feel more helpless as a parent than when your child is in pain, and you can’t fix it right away. He’s adorable, and I’m glad he is healing. Thank you for sharing your heart.

    Liked by 1 person

  2. You have a very creative way of writing. I spent twenty three years in the medical community as a Respiratory Therapist. I know seeing your child go through medical issues is very scary. I am glad to read things are on the mend.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you for the compliment! He is doing much better now. 🙂 We’ve been through our share of medical issues, so I’m always grateful for those who choose to go into the medical field. In those scary moments, it’s hard to remember to say thank you, so you may not get many. Since I can’t go back to the hospital and thank everyone individually who has helped my family, I try to say it to everyone in the medical field. So, thank you for all that you do!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s